Wicomico County Public Schools
Dedicated To Excellence In Education
- Wicomico County Public Schools
April 15-18 Registration Fair at Wicomico Youth & Civic Center for 2019-2020 Prekindergarten Application and Kindergarten Registration; Registration Forms Available Online
The annual Kindergarten and Prekindergarten Registration Fair for Wicomico County Public Schools will take place April 15-18 at the Wicomico Youth & Civic Center in Salisbury.
Registration and enrollment forms are now available online at www.wcboe.org; please click on For Families: Enrollment. Be sure to select the enrollment forms for the 2019-2020 school year. Families may print and fill out the forms in advance to bring along with the required supporting documents to the Registration Fair at the Civic Center.
Parents and guardians are encouraged to register children for the 2019-2020 school year as early as possible, so that families and schools can begin to plan and prepare.
The Registration Fair schedule is as follows, from 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday to Wednesday and Thursday from 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.:
Monday, April 15: Charles H. Chipman Elementary, Delmar Elementary, Northwestern Elementary
Tuesday, April 16: Beaver Run Elementary, Pemberton Elementary
Wednesday, April 17: Pinehurst Elementary, Prince Street Elementary, West Salisbury Elementary
Thursday, April 18: Fruitland Primary, Westside Primary, Willards Elementary
The Registration Fair will also serve families who need to register a student not in public kindergarten now who will be enrolling in the 1st grade for the 2019-2020 school year. (Students currently enrolled in Prekindergarten-3, Prekindergarten-4, or Kindergarten in Wicomico County Public Schools do not need to register at the fair, as they are already students of Wicomico County Public Schools.)
It will be important to bring the right paperwork to the Registration Fair because this year, for the first time, Wicomico County Public Schools will be processing applications on the spot for Prekindergarten 3 Year Old and Prekindergarten 4 Year Old to determine eligibility and inform the parent if the child will have a guaranteed spot in a Prekindergarten classroom in the fall. Wicomico Schools is pleased to be able to determine Prekindergarten admission this early in the year, to better serve children, parents and guardians, and schools.
To register for Kindergarten or apply for Prekindergarten during the April 15-18 Registration Fair, parents/guardians will need to bring in the following documents:
- a child’s birth certificate or registration of birth
- driver’s license or picture ID of parent or legal guardian
- child’s immunization record and current physical
- child’s Social Security card
- two forms of proof-of-residency documentation, in the name of the parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
- For homeowners: Mortgage/property tax bill and one of the following: Current utility (gas, water or electric) bill with service address.
- For those living at a rental property: Current signed lease plus one of the following: Current utility (gas, water or electric) bill with service address.
- For those living with someone else whose name is on the home and utility bills: Bring that person and the two forms of proof of residency listed above, and driver’s license or picture ID for both of you.
- child’s IEP/IFSP (if applicable)
- court custody papers
- income verification (for Prekindergarten only, including both Prekindergarten 3 Year Old and Prekindergarten 4 Year Old): 2018 Maryland tax return (if available) OR W-2 AND either one month of current consecutive pay stubs, or State of Maryland Benefit Eligibility Letter (if applicable)
The Registration Fair is the first chance for families to register children for Kindergarten and apply for Prekindergarten for the 2019-2020 school year. Following the Registration Fair, registration for Kindergarten and application for Prekindergarten will take place at schools starting April 29. Please contact the school for additional information.
To help ensure that all children have the required immunizations for school attendance, the Wicomico County Health Department will offer immunization by appointment at the Health Department’s Fritz Building, 300 W. Carroll St. Parents must bring a current copy of their child’s vaccine record with them. Please call 410-543-6943 for appointments and more information.
Children registering for Kindergarten must turn 5 by Sept. 1, 2019. Kindergarten is mandatory for all Maryland children who are 5 by this date unless the parents or guardians have completed a Kindergarten-Level of Maturity Waiver Form seeking later admission. For information please contact Sandra Drummond, Early Childhood supervisor, at 410-677-4523 or email@example.com .
Prekindergarten-4 is not mandatory and is offered to qualified children who will be 4 by Sept. 1, 2019. Prekindergarten is a half-day program throughout Wicomico County except for the full-day programs in the Judy Center and Prekindergarten Expansion Grant catchment areas of Beaver Run, Pemberton, Pinehurst, Prince Street, Charles H. Chipman Elementary and West Salisbury Elementary.
At Beaver Run and Pemberton, qualified children may attend the Prekindergarten 3 Year Old program for the full school day. Students in the 3-year-old program must turn 3 on or before September 1, 2019. Applicants for the 3-year-old program must register on April 16 at the Registration Fair or may apply at Beaver Run or Pemberton schools on or after April 29.
Priority Prekindergarten admission will be given to Wicomico County children and Delmar, Del. children meeting any of these criteria:
- come from low-income, at-risk, or homeless situations
- have prior participation in Head Start
- experience challenges like emergency or health problems, limited English proficiency, or other home or family circumstances
- recommended for the program by government or court referral
Parents or guardians whose child may qualify for priority admission should apply for Prekindergarten at the Registration Fair, on the assigned day. Applications received prior to the assigned day will be time-stamped for the end of the designated registration day. Parents and guardians of students who meet the criteria for priority admission, and have provided all required documents, will be notified immediately of the child’s acceptance into Prekindergarten for 2019-2020.
Children who do not qualify for priority admission may also be accepted at the Registration Fair with if all required documents are presented. Students with incomplete files will be added to the waitlist until such time as all documents are provided. Notifications will be made throughout the summer, until all slots are filled.