The Wicomico County Board of Ed has a few videos to make the process of getting started with Google Classroom a lot easier. We suggest taking a look at these then follow the instructions below.
WCBOE Students & Parents Resources for Google Classroom:
- Before you start, make sure you are signed out of any Google accounts on the browser you’re using. And make sure your student knows his or her student login and password. They’ll need it.
- Go to https://classroom.google.com
You MAY get a screen like this.
- Just click Go To Classroom
- You will be asked to login with an email address. USE THE STUDENT EMAIL ADDRESS from Wicomico County Board of Education
- Type your student’s login name and add @students.wcboe.org
So if your login is lastnamef12345 you'd type in firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use your NORMAL SCHOOL PASSWORD!
If you're not sure, email email@example.com.
It will ask you what sort of Google Account you have.
- Be sure to choose G Suite!!!
DO NOT USE A PERSONAL E-MAIL ACCOUNT!
You won’t get into your classes with a personal GMail account! You must choose G Suite with your student’s @students.wcboe.org email address.
You may be asked for a login name and password in some fashion next. It varies from browser to browser.
- If asked, the student should re-enter their email address and password. If it just wants a user name, omit @students.wcboe.org
You will then get a Welcome screen from Google.
- Just click Continue
It will then ask you for your role.
- Pick Student
When logged in, you’ll see your child’s classes.
You should see invitations to classes for core subjects.
- Click Join
One you’ve joined a class, you may get an invitation to post something on the class Stream tab. That’s where you’ll be whenever you first login to Google Classroom. Not all teachers have this enabled, and you certainly don’t have to post.
- Feel free to click the X in the upper right corner of the box to close it.
And remember – ALL WCBOE electronic media policies are still in effect and anything you post will be under your real name.
When you click on Classroom, Google may highlight a few features the first time you go to that tab.
- Click Got It to make it go away
Once school starts, you’ll see a folder for a week’s assignments. You can’t see it until it’s published, but it will look like this:
Teachers may organize things into sub folders or just post all assignment resources in one place. But for every assignment, students will see something they need to complete. When they open the assignment to be completed, it should create a copy just for them to work on. They don’t have to complete it all at once. They can work on it, close it out, and when they log back into Google Classroom, just click on that assignment and it will open teh copy previously worked on.
Here's a YouTUbe video from a Google Classroom techer explaining how it works, showing an example of a student's screen while doing it:
When they’re done, they simply click “Turn in work” and that’s it!
If they clicked it too early, they can click “Unsubmit” and continue working until they are done, then click Submit again.
Here’s the explanation from Google on how submitting work, well, works. The page also shows how submitting works on iPhones, iOS devices like iPads and Android devices. This is for laptops and computers, but you can select your method at the top:
Turn in an assignment
Depending on the assignment, you can turn in a personal doc that your teacher assigned to you, create your own Google Doc, or add files to the assignment.
If you need to edit work you turned in, you can unsubmit the assignment. But any assignment turned in or marked done after the due date is recorded as late.
You can always go back and see all your student's classes by clicking the three lines to the left of the the name of the class in the upper left corner.
will then show this, where you can choose which class to view.
Click the class you want, or click Classes if you need to join other classes.
ANY QUESTIONS, e-mail your student's teacher. We’re here to help, and we can’t wait to start seeing student work again!
Parkside High School teachers, staff and administration
By the way:
Accessing Google Classroom from PS4 or Xbox
Access Google Classroom with PS4
1. Turn on PS4 system
2. Use your controller to scroll to the far right of the bar with games to Library.
3. Select Library application.
4. Within thin library use the search bar to type in Internet.
5. Select the Internet Browser app.
6. Start Internet Browser and press the triangle button on the controller to search.
7. Once on the internet, type in the search box Google Classroom and select the first link that comes up
“Classroom: manage teaching and learning Google for Education-link below”
8. Select Go to Classroom, the log in using student email and password.
Below is a link to a video showing these steps.
Follow the video through 1 minute 50 seconds only.
Google Classroom through PS4
Access Google Classroom with Xbox
1. Go to the Home Menu.
2. Select My games and apps.
3. Scroll down to Apps.
4. Go to Microsoft Edge application.
5. Type in a search for Google Classroom
6. Select Go to Classroom.
7. You will need to sign in using your Franklin email.
Below is a link to a video showing these steps.
Google Classroom through Xbox