Wicomico County Teams Add to Impressive Destination Imagination Success Story with 5 Teams Advancing to Global Finals
Wicomico County Destination Imagination (DI) teams performed well once again at the Maryland State DI Tournament at University of Maryland Baltimore County on April 9, with five Wicomico County DI teams advancing to Global Finals in Tennessee in May.
Fourteen Wicomico DI teams competed against more than 300 teams from across the state, with five teams advancing to the highest level of DI competition. Among the many highlights of Saturday’s state competition:
- This was the first Wicomico High School team ever to compete in the Maryland State DI Tournament, and the team was outstanding, finishing 1st in the state secondary competition for Project Outreach. This Wicomico High team, DI of the Tiger, had a perfect score on its Central Challenge, Team Choice, and Instant Challenge to place 1st in the state and advance to Globals.
- Two teams from Bennett Middle School advanced to Global Finals, and another finished in the top 5.
- Two teams are making their third trip to Global Finals, with many of the team members having competed together successfully since elementary school. Congratulations on the Global Finals “hat trick” to the Bennett Middle (formerly Fruitland Intermediate) Daydreamerz and the Salisbury Middle (formerly Westside Intermediate) Funky Monkeys.
The following five teams will advance to Global Finals:
1st place team:
Wicomico High School DI of the Tiger, Project Outreach Service Learning (secondary)
2nd place teams:
Bennett Middle School Daydreamerz, Challenge A: Technical (middle)
North Salisbury School DI Mindful Thinkers, Challenge B: Scientific (elementary)
Salisbury Middle School Funky Monkeys, Challenge D: Improvisation (middle)
4th place team:
Bennett Middle School Legendary Llamas, Challenge C: Fine Arts (middle)
Two more Wicomico teams placed in the top 5 in the state:
5th place teams:
Bennett Middle School DI-namic DI-stroyers, Challenge D: Improvisation (middle)
Westside Intermediate School DI Brows, Project Outreach Service Learning (elementary)
DI transcends race, gender, and ethnic boundaries to encourage cooperation and productive problem solving in all children. DI is not so much a program as a process. DI has helped teams learn what we must all learn in life:
- to work cooperatively in teams
- to push the limit of their imaginations
- to learn new skills and creative problem solving tools
Fundraising for Global Finals
Competing at Global Finals is a tremendous honor and achievement. It also costs quite a bit of money, so teams will be busy fundraising for the next few weeks. Staff of Wicomico County Public Schools can help support Global Finals teams by participating in a countywide casual day for DI on Friday, April 22.
Donations are welcome at any time to the respective school, with “DI Team” (for Bennett Middle, can specify one team, or both) in the memo line or on the envelope, or to all teams through Wicomico DI, using these addresses:
For Wicomico High School DI of the Tiger:
Wicomico High School
201 Long Ave.
Salisbury MD 21804
For the Bennett Middle Daydreamerz and the Bennett Middle Legendary Llamas:
Bennett Middle School
532 S. Division St.
Fruitland MD 21826
For the North Salisbury School DI Mindful Thinkers:
North Salisbury Elementary
1213 Emerson Ave.
Salisbury MD 21801
For the Salisbury Middle Funky Monkeys:
Salisbury Middle School
607 Morris St.
Salisbury MD 21801
For funds to be shared among the five Wicomico DI Global teams, please note that the donation is for the DI teams and mail to:
Wicomico County Board of Education
PO Box 1538
Salisbury MD 21802